Dental Implants are the modern solution for tooth replacement. They are titanium rods that are surgically implanted into your jawbone. Once the implant is in place, it will stimulate the process of bone healing and create a foundation for artificial teeth. Implant surgery is not as simple as it seems, and it takes some time to heal. Most patients recover from the procedure in a few weeks with minimal discomfort. Here is what you need to know about dental implant recovery and what to expect after getting an implant.
What to expect after dental implant surgery?
Before we talk about the dental implant recovery process, let’s discuss the dental implant surgery itself. You will first undergo a periodontal evaluation and therapy when you visit the dentist to get a dental implant. You will be given a full dental cleaning and possibly a gum cleaning. This will determine if you can get an implant and how your gum and bone are healing after losing a tooth.
The dentist will mark the spot where the implant will go. This area will likely be numb, and they must ensure they are placing the implant in the correct position. They will make an incision in your gums and put the implant into the incision. The implant placement and healing process will take approximately six months to heal. During this time, you need to take care of the implant by eating healthy foods, maintaining good oral hygiene, and avoiding activities that can cause damage to the gums and implant.
Dental Implant Surgery Recovery Process
Implant surgery is a long process that requires a lot of patience. During your initial consultation, your dentist will make sure you understand every part of the procedure. You will also be provided with a written guide that tells you how long each step should take. The process can break down into three main steps, preparation, implant placement, and post-operative care.
The Preparation stage is the most important part of the process. Your dentist will schedule a full visit to clean your gums and remove any diseased or damaged tissues. This is where your dentist will advise you to get a blood test and x-rays. You will have to take blood tests to ensure your body is not rejecting the implant. The x-rays will determine if the implant is in the right position.
Tips for a Successful Recovery From Dental Implants
You need to do a few things before and after the implant surgery to make your recovery process as smooth as possible. Here is a list of the most important things you need to know.
- Clean and maintain your implant. Make sure to brush and floss around the implant. Avoid beverages like coffee, red wine, and tea that stain teeth. If you need help with oral hygiene, ask your dentist for a recommendation.
- Stay healthy by eating healthy foods, exercising regularly, and reducing stress. Your immune system plays a vital role in the healing process.
- Visit your dentist regularly for a professional dental cleaning and a checkup. They will make sure your implant is in the right position and that there is no infection or disease around the implant.
- Get enough sleep. Sleeping for 7-8 hours a day will help you recover faster.
- See your dentist if you are experiencing any pain or discomfort. Your dentist will be able to offer you advice on managing the pain and discomfort.
Dental implants are a great way to replace missing teeth. While this treatment is quick, easy, and less costly than other dental procedures, it does take time to recover. The implant surgery recovery process can be sped up by following your dentist’s instructions. Stay healthy by eating healthy foods, exercising regularly, reducing stress, and visiting your dentist regularly. You can also speed up your recovery by keeping your mouth clean, sleeping enough, and seeing your dentist if you are experiencing any pain or discomfort.